Friday, October 29, 2010

5 Habits To Get Yourself Unstuck

As we are pursuing our goals, there are times when we get stuck. We start going in circles instead of towards our destination. I ran into this problem earlier this year in my business and spent too much time going in circles instead of breaking out and getting back on track to my destination. As I went through that process, I focused on building five habits back into my life. I can't take credit for developing these habits, I picked them up from the book of Proverbs. (If you read that book 12 to 15 times, you'll practically get an MBA, it's in there.)

The preface to all of this is you have to seek to get unstuck. Which means there must be an energy, a passion in your efforts and activity.

1. Don't Be A Loner. If you want to get unstuck or grow in a certain area, you need fresh information coming in to you. Go get counsel from someone who is where you want to be. Get advice from others who truly care about your success and don't have their own agenda.

2. Don't Make Excuses. This usually sounds like, "this isn't going to work, so I'm not even going to try." Listen, when you make excuses it changes your focus away from the real issue. Not only that, but it paralyzes you. You become very good at finding ways to shoot down every potential solution you come up with. Learn to change "I can't ... " to "I can...."

3. Don't Love Comfort and Ease. Don't be a comfort addict. Life is not supposed to be comfortable. If you're comfortable you're not growing. At the end of the day, it's not about how you feel, it's your destiny that matters. You were put on the earth to accomplish something. Change isn't comfortable, get over it, it will help you grow up and mature.

4. Don't Get Preoccupied. When we're stuck and going in circles, we are often just focused on what we are doing. Instead, focus on why you are doing it. If you're a financial coach, you're not just creating budgets, you're transforming families and saving marriages.

5. Don't Be Hard-Headed. Be teachable. Just because you thought it, doesn't make it right. Always be looking, gleaning, growing, seeking. Ask questions. Let others talk more, not you talking about yourself. Read. Five years from now, you will be in the same place except for the conversations you have and the books you read. Be teachable.

By incorporating these habits back into my life, I got myself and my business back on track. I would love to hear what you have done  or your thoughts on how to get unstuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment